This is sort of a follow-up to my Wiki Effect post a few days ago, but I happened across this like-minded commentary by David Weinberger entitled Why the media can’t get Wikipedia right. I agree with what he has to say, and his Anti-Executive Summary at the top of the article made me laugh out loud.
Things this piece does not say.
- Wikipedia is always right
- Wikipedia will asymptotically achieve a point of total rightness
- Wikipedia is the only source anyone should consult
- Wikipedia is impervious to criticism
- Wikipedia is better than science, sex and scientific sex
- Wikipedia is totally new and there’s never been anything like it
- Anyone who criticizes Wikipedia is a doody head
- Jimmy Wales is G-d.
It’s clear he’s had the same argument many times in the past.
Mmmmm… scientific sex.